Paraphrasing examples in customer service

As well as the great article below, ACXPA Members also have access to a range of additional resources, including our monthly Member Symposiums & Video Library, exclusive industry insights, premium resources to download, discounted training courses, expert articles, and lots more!

Learn more about our Individual Memberships >

Paraphrasing

Paraphrasing in a call centre or customer service setting is restating a customer’s issue or question with new words or phrases while keeping the same meaning to demonstrate you understand what they are telling or asking you.

It is often used to demonstrate active listening skills, one of the most important tools in customer service.

Why paraphrase on the phone?

Phone conversations can be difficult, especially when addressing complex, sensitive, or emotional topics with customers.

As the conversations are being held over the phone, visual cues such as facial expressions, gestures, and eye contact are missing and research shows that approximately 60% of human communication is typically visual.

Add to this the background noises and distractions often encountered over the phone and it can also interfere with concentration and comprehension.

So when we lose 60% of our communication powers, we need to make sure the other 40% is on-point which is typically made up of tone and the words we use.

Paraphrasing is a useful tool to help overcome these issues and enhance your communication skills.

Paraphrasing allows you to confirm your understanding of the speaker’s message and feelings, demonstrating that you are listening attentively and respectfully as well as aiding in building rapport and trust with the speaker by acknowledging their feelings and expressing empathy.

An example of how to paraphrase on the phone

When paraphrasing on the phone, it is important to not simply repeat what the speaker said word for word.

Instead, use your own words to summarise, restate, or reflect on what the customer has said, while keeping the same meaning and tone. 

An example of this could be, “OK <insert name>, my understanding is that <we need to/you’re trying> to<information>, is that correct?”

CX Roundtables - Upcoming Guest

Live and interactive sessions for customer experience professionals in Australia.

Upcoming CX Roundtable Steven Arnold bw

Contact Centre Manager Roundtables - Upcoming Guest

Live and interactive sessions for contact centre professionals in Australia.

Upcoming Contact Centre Roundtable - Scott Wooden

Next Members Symposium Livestream: Tuesday, 21st May, 2024, 13:30 AEST

The Members Symposium sessions are only available to ACXPA Members! 

ACXPA Members can watch the symposium live, and, can watch any of the sessions at any time in their Video Library. 

Discover which membership is right for you >

Preview of upcoming Symposium Sessions:

Nadine Power, ACXPA National Advisory Board Member

IVR Best Practice

Over 90% of contact centres are using an IVR (Press 1 for this, press 2 for that), and we've encountered many contact centres with over four layers of options for customers to select from. In this session, Nadine will be sharing some best practice tips on IVR design for 2024.

Presented by Nadine Power, Chief Product Officer, Datagamz (and ACXPA National Advisory Board Member)

ACXPA National Advisory Board Member Simon Blair

Tips to Boost Engagement on Calls

Of the five quality competencies we assess as part of the Australian Call Centre Rankings, the 'ENGAGE' competency from the Australian Contact Centre Quality Standards has consistently been at the bottom of the rankings throughout 2023 and into 2024.

In this session, Simon will provide some tips that can be shared with agents on how to increase engagement with customers at the start of calls.

Presented by Simon Blair, General Manager Quality Insights, ACXPA

More sessions announced soon! 

(If you're interested in speaking at one of our events, click here to learn more >)

If you want to share and earn points please login first

ACXPA PLATINUM SPONSORS

ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS
ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS
ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS

ACXPA GOLD SPONSORS

ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS
ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS
ACXPA SILVER SPONSORS
ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS
ACXPA BRONZE SPONSORS
ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS
ACXPA Platinum SPONSORS
Copyright © 2024 | Australian Customer Experience Professionals Association | Phone: +61 1800 0 ACXPA | Website Terms of Use 

Log in with your email address

or Become an ACXPA Member

Forgot your details?

Create Account